Coronavirus (COVID-19) Product
Please note, these talking points are for members’ information only, and not be reproduced or further published.
What is Coronavirus?
- Covid-19 is a viral disease, which can cause illness in humans.
- The virus is most likely spread through:
- close contact with an infectious person
- contact with droplets from an infected persons cough or sneeze
- touching objects or surfaces that have cough or sneeze droplets from an infected person, and then touching your mouth or face
Can you get Coronavirus from meat?
- Well-respected international agencies including the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and Australias Food Standards agency (FSANZ) have publically stated that there is no evidence to suggest that coronavirus is transmitted in food
What is the meat industry doing?
- The meat industry is uniquely positioned as one of the premier industries where food safety and hygiene is part of our core business.
- The meat industry operates to very stringent standards including HACCP, Good Manufacturing Practice, and Australian Standards etc, which are verified by state and federal food safety authorities. For example,
- Processing establishments are routinely washed down and sanitised, and undergo a variety of monitoring programs to ensure hygienic operations
- Workers are required to follow strict hygiene and personal health policies and practices, and wear suitable Personal Protective Equipment as relevant (e.g. hair nets, beard nets, gumboots, aprons, full length protective uniforms, gloves, etc).
- Retail butchers are required to have in place detailed food safety plans to ensure hygienic operations
What is AMICs position on Coronavirus?
- AMIC is making sure our members are as prepared as possible for the potential impacts of Coronavirus on their businesses, so that they can continue to operate and maintain as many jobs in the sector as possible.
- AMIC supports the Government stimulus package announced on 12/03/2020, and encourages the rapid passage of the package through Parliament, to ensure the stimulus is quickly available for impacted businesses.
AMIC works on behalf of its members to effect change in areas that impact their businesses including energy efficiency; food regulation; market access; animal welfare; and access to labour.
© 2019 Australian Meat Industry Council. All rights reserved
2nd Floor, 460 Pacific Highway
St Leonards NSW 2065
PO BOX 1208
Crows Nest NSW 1585
P: 02 9086 2200
E: [email protected]