Four butchers from around the nation have survived a sizzling showdown to claim the prestigious title of 2019 National Sausage King.
After winning their way through regional and state rounds, the group snagged victory in the annual Grand Final cook off in Fremantle, W.A. on Saturday, 16 February.
Newly crowned kings are:
- Traditional Australian Beef: Raff Barbaro, Barbaro Brothers Quality Butchers, Perth WA
- Traditional Australian Pork: Joe Di Fulvio, Crimea Quality Meats, Perth, WA
- Poultry: Raff Barbaro, Barbaro Brothers Quality Butchers, Perth WA
- Australian Lamb: Joe Di Fulvio, Crimea Quality Meats, Perth, WA
- Continental: Nigel Rollbusch, Rollbusch Quality Meats, Waikerie, SA
- Gourmet/Open: Pierre Mastromanno, Piero’s Meat Merchant, Melbourne VIC
Judges scored both raw and cooked sausages, grading them for flavour and texture as well as shrinkage, splitting and crinkling.
Contestants must also ensure that their sausages meet Australian Food Standards Code by containing at least 50 percent fat free meat.
Organised by the Australian Meat Industry Council (AMIC), the competition attracts huge interest from the nation’s 3200 independent butchers and is widely regarded as the meat industry’s premier competition.
“Every year we are amazed at the interest we receive from butchers across Australia from country towns to capital cities,” said AMIC Chief Executive, Patrick Hutchinson.
“It’s an event that just gets bigger and shows that butchers still play an important role.”
And the statistics prove it: each year, Australians spend $660 million on about 94 million kilograms of sausages and despite the growing popularity of gourmet varieties, the traditional beef banger remains the most popular.